Purvi Mehtrotra, PhD
Purvi Mehrotra, PhD
Assistant Research Professor
Department of Cellular & Integrative Physiology
Research Biography Summary
Briefly describe why your experience and qualifications make you particularly well-suited for your role (e.g., PD/PI, mentor, participating faculty) in the project that is the subject of the application.
My research interest is primarily in elucidating the role of immune cells in progression of acute kidney injury to the chronic phase. Specifically, focusing on the role of Th17 in kidney injury. I am further interested in testing in the possibility of IL-17+ cells to be biomarker for predicting the incidence of chronic injury in kidney compromised paitents. I have also developed another project to study distinct organ failure during kidney injury, for which I successfully acquired funding through an internal IU Showalter grant. I have 7-8 years experience in T cell biology, during which I have gained expertise in various techniques like primary T cell isolation and and characterization, which would be beneficial for my ongoing projects. Further, I have expertise in various model of inflammation in the mice as well as rats. I addition, I have published multiple papers in field of asthma and allergy and kidney injury.
Contribution to Science
- Mehrotra P., Krishnamurthy P., Sun J., Goenka S. and Kaplan M.H. PARP-14 promotes Th17 and Tfh development. Immunology 2015. PMID: 26222149
- Mehrotra P., Patel J.B., Ivancic C.M., Collet J.A. and Basile D.P. Th17 activation in response to high salt following acute kidney injury is associated with progressive fibrosis and attenuated by AT1R. Kidney Int. 2015. PMID: 26200947
- Riley J., Kulkarni A., Mehrotra P., Perumal N.B. and Goenka S. PARP-14 binds specific DNA sequrence to promote Th2 cell gene expression. Plos One 8: e83127, 2013. PMID: 24376650
- Turner M., Disilva S.C., Yi Q., Mehrotra P., Kaplan M.H. and Travers J. Topical Application of a Vitamin D Analogue Exacerbates Atopic Dermatitis and Induces the Atopic Dermatitis-like Phenotype in Stat6VT mice. Pediatrics Dermatitis 30: 574-8, 2013. PMID: 23889122
- Mehrotra P., Riley J., Li F., Hollenback A. Patel R.J., Akthar N. and Goenka S. PARP-14 and the catalytic activity associated with it participate in the progression of allergic hyper-responsiveness. Journal Allergy and Clinical Immunology. JACI 131:521-31, 2013. PMID: 22841009
- Lott J.M., Sehra S., Mehrotra P., Mickler E.A., Fisher A.J., Presson R.G., Petrache I., Busk M.F., Goenka S., Wenzel S., Kaplan M.H. and Wilkes D.S. Type V Collagen-Induced Tolerance Prevents Airway Hyper-responsiveness, IL-17 and C3a Production. AJRCCM 187:454-7, 2013. PMID: 23418334
- Mehrotra P., Riley J., Patel, R., Voss L., Li F. and Goenka S. PARP-14 functions as a transcriptional switch for Stat 6 dependent transcription. JBC 286:1767-76, 2011. PMID: 21081493
- Benekareddy M., Mehrotra P., Kulkarni V.A., Ramakrishnan P., Dias B. and Vaidya V.A. Antidepressant treatments regulate the matrix metalloproteinases-2 and 9 (MMP-2/MMP-9) and the tissue inhibitors of the matrix metalloproteinases (TIMPs 1-4) in the adult rat hippocampus. Synapse 62:590-600, 2008. PMID: 18509851
- Mehrotra, P., Raman G., Sinkar, V. P., Mishra, K.P and Banerjee, G. Differential regulation of MAPK isoforms in keratinocytes by contact allergens and irritants, Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods 17:101-107, 2007. PMID: 20020978
- Mehrotra, P., Raman G., Mishra, K.P and Banerjee, G. Differential regulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and nitric oxide (NO) by contact allergens and irritants in keratinocyte; Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods 15:343-350, 2005. PMID: 20021054
- Mehrotra, P., Raman G., Mishra, K.P and Banerjee G. UVB induced skin inflammation: role of second messenger; Biotechnology approaches for sustainable development; editors: Reddy M.S. and Khanna S, 256-59, 2004.